St Patrick’s Parish Catholic Primary School, Port Kembla NSW
Founded in 1918, St Patrick’s is a single stream co-educational Catholic primary school with a history deeply rooted within the Port Kembla Parish community. The culturally diverse school is one of three Diocesan primary schools receiving funding from the National Partnership Agreement Program that aims to improve literacy and numeracy outcomes for students. The curriculum focus within the context of this initiative is literacy.
JDH Architects was engaged to construct a new facility to house each of the seven primary year groups in contemporary, future-focused spaces. The brief called for flexible spaces that support all kinds of pedagogies and a design that encourages teachers and students to collaborate.
JDH Architects designed flexible learning environments to accommodate excellent acoustic separation for explicit teaching and created spaces that can transform to allow for modelled learning and team teaching. The new facility incorporates quiet spaces for independent learning and retreat, generous breakout areas for creative pursuits, display areas to celebrate ideas and communal space for parents and caregivers connected to the learning.
The team engaged with all stake holders throughout the creative process and continue to participate after the completion of the project to help teachers and students transition into their new learning environment.
Catholic Education Office Diocese of Wollongong